The PAWV historic preservation awards banquet program began in 2009, and we are in our fourth year of honoring preservation achievements across the state. Join us for this year’s banquet on Friday, September 28th, in Harpers Ferry, WV. If you can’t make it to the conference, be sure to look for new posts about the banquet and conference in October.
In 2011, PAWV spent the awards banquet in the Downtown Historic District in Charleston, the WV state capital, at the Scottish Rite building. PAWV was delighted to present Senator Brooks McCabe with a Preservation Achievement Award for his work with the redevelopment of the downtown Charleston Historic Village District. Browse through the gallery and scroll down to read more about the award winners. In 2011, PAWV honored many wonderful projects, which reflects a surge in preservation projects. Cheers to that!
Preservation of Historic Downtown Areas – West Side Main Stret, Pat McGill
West Side Main Street has actively participated in a number of façade renovations along the Washington St. W business corridor by offering grants to business owners who are looking to improve their property.
One project was completed by a group of young entrepreneurs who not only improved the façade of a dilapidated building in the Elk City historic district, but also developed the interior to house two new businesses and a loft for living space.
Tighe Bullock, his sister Megan Bullock and her business partner Josh Dodd, along with a host of friends and family, uncovered transoms, removed old signs, and rebuilt and preserved the original windows, doors and woodwork to make the building modern on the interior, while preserving the history and character of the building throughout.
The building now houses Spa Elements on the first floor, MESH Design on the second floor and a two bedroom loft for living quarters. West Side Main Street provided a $5000 façade grant and is pleased to welcome these young professionals to the West Side.
Preservation of Historic Downtown Areas – East End Main Street, Ric Cavender and Mary Ann Crickard
Since their inception in 2002, the staff and hard working volunteers of Charleston East End Main Street (EEMS) have dedicated themselves to economically revitalizing the city’s most historic and diverse neighborhood and business district. As of September 2011, there had been over 40 historic preservation consultations provided at no charge to business and property owners and over $3.4 million in exterior façade restorations have been completed using East End Main Street’s façade and sign grant programs. EEMS led the charge in transitioning development ethic in the district and the city to focus solely on preservation-based rehabilitation. Key properties restored to their historic status, include the old State Theatre building which is now the home of the WV School Service Personnel Association and the Charleston Fire House which is now home to Charleston’s premiere Little India Restaurant.
EEMS also led the charge in saving and preserving historical architectural salvage from old East End residential properties through their “LemonAID” project. EEMS teamed up with the Charleston Urban Renewal Authority to sell historic mantles, baseboards, floors, transom windows, glass doorknobs, and much more out of homes in the district slated for demolition. Over 400 different pieces of salvage were removed, sold, restored, and recycled back into the surrounding community to be preserved for years to come.
Heritage Tourism Award – West Virginia Division of Tourism, Jane Bostic
The Civil War Trails program has been recognized as one of the most successful and sustainable heritage programs in the country by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
The Civil War Trails project was created to provide a unified identification for significant Civil War sights throughout WV, VA, MD, NC. State lines mean nothing to a tourist and this program proves that. It was also a way to get the small communities involved in the 150th Commemoration of the Civil War.
The WV Civil Wars trails program, is a partnership between the West Virginia Division of Tourism, Civil War Trails Inc., and the local communities. It has helped to identify, interpret and create driving tours centered on 150 Civil War sites and stories statewide; there are ten markers interpreting the Kanawha Valley stories. Currently, there are over 1000 sites in the program and more than 3,000 map guides are downloaded weekly from the program’s web site, www.civilwartrails.org. WV Tourism is being awarded for going above and beyond the call of duty to market tourism sites. This program actually created these 150 Heritage Tourism sites to tell the story of a “state born from a nation torn.”
Heritage Tourism Award – Independence Hall, Travis Henline, West Virginia Division of Culture and History, and McKinley Associates
Beginning in 2008, the WV Division of Culture and History undertook much needed restoration work at WV Independence Hall in Wheeling. The restoration included the installation of a new HVAC system, replacement of the leaking roof, stone repair work, plaster repair work and painting. A fire suppression system was also installed throughout the building. In addition, all the building’s windows were restored and period appropriate glass panes installed. On the second floor, two unfinished rooms were completely restored with new plaster walls, ceiling and cornices, new flooring and decorative wood graining. On the building’s lower level, walls were built for a new gallery and theater. The concrete gallery floor was “marbleized,” and the theater received carpeting.
This November the WV Division of Culture and History will be restoring the artwork that was original to the historic courtroom at WV Independence Hall.
Best Use of Historic Preservation Tax Credits Award – Riverview at Clendenin School, AU Associates and Terrell Ellis & Associates
Riverview at ClendeninSchool was the fusion of multiple complex federal programs in order to bring life back to Clendenin, WV. 25045 A New Clendenin Inc., is a private nonprofit organization that sought the most innovative group of housing and economic development professionals to support the adaptive reuse of the historic former Clendenin Middle School building as a mixed-use facility that will provide much needed health care to the region and safe, quality, affordable housing for independent seniors in the area.
While the project was complex, the goals were not. The two projects were physically intertwined but financially separate. By combining Federal Stimulus money and USDA funds aimed at improving the quality of Community Health Clinics and also using NSP funds aimed at revitalizing areas hard hit by vacancy, delinquency and foreclosure, Riverview at ClendeninSchool maximized the leverage of the community and its funding dollars. Most significantly, by flowing all of these funds through a taxable entity, Federal and State Historic Tax Credits can be generated that pay for 20% of the project in the form of equity while allowing the grand, historic building to be resurrected as a cornerstone of the community.
Historic Landscape Restoration – New River Gorge National River, Richard Segars
This colliery and settlement of Nuttalburg was established by John Nuttall, an Englishman who first shipped coal out of the gorge in 1873. The first two years, 17 two-family dwellings and 80 one-family residences were erected. By 1880 the Nuttallburg Coal Company was the largest producer in the New River field; it remained under control of the Nuttall family until 1908.
Nuttallburg had one of the earliest union organizations in the gorge. The Knights of Labor, National Trade Assembly 135 had a local there during the 1880s. The strength of the union may account for the visit of “Coxey’s Army” in 1894. On their march to Washington, Jacob Coxey’s army of unemployed workers slept in the coke ovens at Nuttallburg.
In 1920 Henry Ford purchased the lease and equipment of the Nuttallburg Smokeless Fuel Company to provide coal for his Michigan auto plant. Ford modernized the colliery with a state-of-the-art steel tipple, a new steel head house and retarding or “button and rope” conveyor. Ford’s venture proved short-lived, however, and the company sold the lease in 1928.
The community of Nuttallburg had a population of 335 in 1920. It was linked to South Nuttall on the opposite side of the New River by a suspension bridge, built by the John Roebling and Sons Company, builder of the BrooklynBridge.
Nuttallburg continued to be a productive colliery through the 1930s and World War II years, but declined in the late-1940s. The mine was closed for good in 1958.
Listed in 2007, Nuttallburg is the only National Register Property in New River Gorge National River with National Level Significance. It is significant for all four criterion: A: Business for its association with the Fordson Coal Company’s innovative system of vertical integration; B: Industry for John Nuttall, coal mining entrepreneur; C: Engineering as a rare surviving example of a state-of-the-art coal mining facility with remarkable integrity – It is one of the most complete coal-related industrial sites in the United States; D: Archaeology for its potential to reveal significant information regarding the town of Nuttallburg.
Initial funding for Nuttallburg was from a Congressional Earmark sponsored by Senator Byrd. Funding to complete the work was from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 sponsored by Congressman Rahall.
Most Significant Save of an Endangered Site – Quarrier Diner
The Quarrier Diner opened in 1946 as a family friendly eatery for downtown Charleston.; in 2010 it was listed on the PAWV Endangered Site list. Later that year it was purchased by the Pollitt family with the intent to return this art-deco darling to its former use identity as a family owned and operated establishment to be managed by their son, Timothy; as an authentic part of the community.
Anna credits foremost, the dedication and professionalism of David Marshall, Architect for his vision, direction, planning and continuous support. He was an integral part of the project, designing and revising plans for complete rehabilitation of the building while maintaining its historical significance. David Kingry and his crew, handled so capably all the many different construction issues from plumbing to electricity, from windows to refrigeration, from destruction to recreation and beyond. He has been an amazing contractor.
After the death of Timothy Pollitt, Ashley Smoak, became the our Chief Chef and General Manager of this endeavor. As an accomplished chef with many years of experience Ashley has without hesitation jumped right in with the spirit of making the Diner the best place to dine and unwind in Charleston, WV.
Most Significant Save of an Endangered Site – Kanawha Trestle Trail, Friends of the Kanawha Trestle Trail
The Friends of the Kanawha Trestle Trail have worked since 2003, and have raised over $3.4million to create a trail system of accessible and safe routes for bikes and pedestrians. This rail trail system will preserve and restore two historic and unique rail structures that are eligible to be listed on the National Historic Register.
The Whipple bridge was built in the heyday of the Industrial Revolution as part of an ever expanding national rail network. At 20 year old is was obsolete and after a new RR bridge was built beside it. Then the Whipple began a new life carrying passengers on the Charleston Inter-Urban Trolley system. Service stopped during the great depression and the dissolution of the trolley company gave all trackage to the city of Charleston.
The WhippleBridge is an important link across the Elk River for the proposed trail system. The structure is one of the few surviving examples designed and patented by Squire Whipple of New York, notable in that his bridges were the first bridge engineering guidelines arrived at by mathematical formulae.
Charleston is blessed with having not one but 2 unused rail bridges. Built in 1907, the Kanawha Trestle is an impressive and highly visible span connecting Charleston to her sister-city South Charleston. It functioned as a multi-purpose link purpose for many years since a wooden structure cantilevered over the side served as a pedestrian and automobile bridge. Parts of this structure still remain.
The plans of the Friends of Kanawha Trestle Trail are to incorporate these historic structures into a multi-use non-motorized recreational trail from the Mound in South Charleston to the State Capitol.
Preservation Achievement Award – Senator Brooks McCabe
As the guiding force behind McCabe-Henley and the McCabe Land Company,
Brooks McCabe has been credited by some to be the impetus behind redevelopment of the downtown Charleston Historic Village District. Over the years, the firms have completed nearly one dozen projects in downtown Charleston.
When older stock could not be adaptively re-used, new buildings were designed to compliment and confirm to Historic District standards. A 39,000 square foot Class A office building in the center of the Charleston Business District. Summers Square was constructed in 1994. This project was a major redevelopment of the Summers Street section of downtown Charleston. It replaced seriously deteriorated, marginal-use structures with a Class A office building constructed with a facade designed to be architecturally compatible with the Historic Village District buildings in the immediate area.
Downtown area residences have also benefited form the historic preservation ethic of Senator Brooks McCabe, who identified apartment buildings on Charleston’s residential east end that were in poor condition, had a high-crime rate, and were a detriment to the entire east end neighborhood. The properties are part of a condominium referred to as Maple Terrace Condominium.
Imperia lTower is a 121 unit, 18 story, high-rise apartment building. McCabe-Henley organized a partnership to purchase and convert it to condominiums catering to professionals and retirees. In less than 12 months, McCabe-Henley negotiated the sale of all units and completed the conversion process.
Lifetime Achievement Award – Dr. Emory Kemp
Dr. Emory L. Kemp is an internationally accomplished structural engineer, a historian of technology and an industrial archaeologist who is best described as a modern-day “Renaissance Man.” His amazing career, which spans 50 years—and still going strong, began at the University of Illinois, where he graduated summa cum laude in civil engineering in 1952. Following military service, he did postgraduate study at Imperial College, University of London. While in London, Kemp joined leading consulting firms to work on engineering projects in Britain and overseas, including the landmark Sydney (Australia) Opera House.
After receiving his Ph.D. in Theoretical and Applied Mechanics from the University of Illinois in 1962, Dr. Kemp came to West Virginia University to develop a program in structural engineering. He taught for many years in the College of Engineering at WVU and served as chair of the Civil Engineering Department. Kemp went on to establish the Program in the History of Science and Technology at WVU in 1976, and then founded the Institute for the History of Technology & Industrial Archaeology in 1989. Fostering the use of material culture for the study of our industrial past, he has researched and preserved historic industrial sites around the globe. Whether in the classroom or out in the field, Dr. Kemp has always stressed the importance of interpreting the artifact for the public. Now retired from the academy as Professor Emeritus of History, he remains actively engaged in writing and consulting on historic structures.
Dr. Kemp is a founding member and past president of the Society for Industrial Archeology, and past president of the Public Works Historical Society. As a “founding father” of Preservation Alliance of WV, he was present at the creation of this organization in 1981. He served as a fellow at the American Council of Learned Societies at Imperial College in London; as a Regents Fellow at the Smithsonian Institution, where he researched the history of suspension bridges; and as a Fellow at the Institute for Advanced Studies in the Humanities at the University of Edinburgh, Scotland. In 2000, West Virginia University bestowed on him its highest honor for outstanding service, the Order of Vandalia. The American Society of Civil Engineers bestowed its most prestigious designation, Honorary Member, on Dr. Kemp in 2004. As of September 2011, only 615 professionals have earned this distinguished honor out of a membership of 137,000.
Dr. Kemp specializes in the history and preservation of historic bridges. He has been involved in dozens of projects to document, restore and interpret historic iron & steel truss bridges, wooden covered bridges, cable suspension bridges, stone arch bridges, and more. A much abbreviated list of his numerous bridge projects includes: the(National Historic Landmark) 1849 Wheeling Suspension Bridge, Philippi Covered Bridge, Barrackville Covered Bridge, Milton Covered Bridge, Humpback Bridge (in VA), Duck Run Cable Suspension Bridge, and the Glenville Truss Bridge. In addition to hands-on bridge preservation activities, Kemp has also authored numerous books and articles on the topic, including Wheeling Suspension Bridge (co-authored with Beverly Fluty) in 1999, Proceedings of an International Bridge Conference to Celebrate the 150th Anniversary of the Wheeling Suspension Bridge in 1999, and American Bridge Patents: 1790-1890 in 2005, as well as dozens of journal articles.