Historic Beverly Preservation, Inc. and Beverly ON TRAC are seeking an AmeriCorps VISTA member to focus on Beverly revitalization development, organizational capacity building and fundraising. VISTA will report to the Beverly Heritage Center director, and will work closely with AmeriCorps member who provides direct service at the site, as well as with board and volunteers.
VISTA oversight is provided through the Pocahontas Communications Cooperative VISTA program. Applicant should be self-directed and have degree or background in public history, public administration, marketing, or related field. For more information about VISTA http://www.americorps.gov/for_individuals/choose/vista.asp For information about Beverly Heritage Center and Historic Beverly, http://www.beverlyheritagecenter.org
Beverly is located in Randolph County, 6 miles south of Elkins, West Virginia. Start date will be in May 2014 for a one year term, renewable for one additional term. For the right person, multiple terms as VISTA could possibly transition to a staff position, if development efforts are successful. Responsibilities will include:
• Provide organizational support and capacity building for Beverly ON TRAC. (ON TRAC is a “Main Street” type program that supports beginning community revitalization efforts.) This includes assisting committee chairs to arrange and remind people of committee meetings, attending meetings and keeping and circulating notes, and assisting each committee with specific followup tasks as requested.
• Work with Economic Restructuring committee to strengthen committee, assist with business outreach, technical assistance and support.
• Work with promotion committee to plan and implement events and provide promotion for events, including writing press releases, calendar listings, social media and e-newsletters.
• Work with design committee on community beautification and historic preservation projects.
• Work with organization and fundraising committees particularly to assist with membership and donor fundraising for ON TRAC activities, capital campaign, and operations.
• Assist with volunteer recruitment, management, tracking and recognition, including efforts to implement improved volunteer management strategies.
• Help Board and Beverly ON TRAC in considering decision to seek Main Street status, and if a positive decision is reached, help organization work towards Main Street application by the end of the three years.
• Attend periodic ON TRAC trainings and monthly ON TRAC conference calls
• Assist with grant writing.
• Assist with gift shop development, expanding inventory, implementing on-line sales, etc.
• Assist with organizational support and visitor services.
Application will consist of resume and cover letter expressing why you think you are right for this position. You will also submit an AmeriCorps VISTA application to Pocahontas Communications Cooperative. Applications will be reviewed as received and will be accepted until position is filled. Materials can be delivered in any one of these ways:
• Emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, copied to email@example.com (preferred)
• Mailed to Historic Beverly Preservation, PO Box 227, Beverly, WV 26235
• Hand delivered to the Beverly Heritage Center, #4 Court Street, Beverly WV.