Preservation Alliance of West Virginia (PAWV), the statewide nonprofit dedicated to historic preservation, is seeking a full-time (estimated approximately 40 hours per week) Program Associate to help with implementation and administration of the Preserve WV AmeriCorps program, and to assist with other PAWV activities and projects. Salary is negotiable for successful candidate, but is likely to be in the $25,000 to $28,000 range.
Position will begin full-time in late August 2016, and if possible, the successful candidate will attend an AmeriCorps training in Charleston July 7-8 with the program director. This position has a three-year expectation, hopefully renewable long term.
Successful candidate MUST be organized and meticulous with paperwork, a self-starter, and computer literate with comfort in Word, Excel, email, and social media.
Candidate should have training (college degree expected, advanced degree preferred) and background in one or more of the Preserve WV AmeriCorps focus areas of public history, historic preservation, tourism, community development, cultural resource management, or public administration.
Previous AmeriCorps experience and/or previous involvement with PAWV will be a plus.
Successful candidate must work closely with a wide variety of people, including community members, site supervisors, representatives of partner organizations, AmeriCorps members, other staff, and organization Board members. Good written and verbal communication skills, positive attitude, professionalism, calm demeanor in response to stress or conflict, and comfort with speaking in groups will all be needed.
Associate will work primarily out of the PAWV office in Elkins, WV located at the 421 Davis Avenue, but remote work from a home office is negotiable for the right candidate (this candidate will be required to report to the Elkins office on some occasions). Schedule may be flexible other than required meetings, activities, and deadlines. Moderate reimbursed travel will be required.
Duties will include:
Program associate will be directly supervised by, and report, to Danielle LaPresta (PAWV Executive Director). Associate will also work with Lynn Stasick (PAWV Field Services Representative), and with PAWV assigned AmeriCorps members, in a small team environment.
Program Associate will assist Executive Director with duties for Preserve WV AmeriCorps program that include, but are not limited to:
- Reviewing member timesheets monthly and recording data for program use;
- Member records, calendar, etc. in OnCorps system;
- Recruiting and interviewing new members;
- Planning and conducting trainings and quarterly meetings;
- Overseeing member and site performance, including participating in some member-planned events, conducting site monitoring visits, and helping to resolve issues and conflicts;
- Facilitating team building, service projects, and new member familiarization with the area;
- Communicating with state Program Officers and attending periodic Program Director meetings; and
- Supporting the Program Director to create and implement new Preserve WV AmeriCorps Evaluation Plan.
Program Associate will be expected to assist the Executive Director with the following PAWV organizational activities:
- Attend and participate in PAWV Quarterly Board Meeting and all annual events (i.e. History Day, Endangered Properties Event, Conference, and Awards Banquet);
- Communicate consistently with members and stakeholders through print and e-newsletters, Facebook, blog, etc.;
- Maintain monthly membership and assist with expanding membership base;
- Assist in planning annual events (Endangered Properties Event, Conference (biennial), and awards banquet);
- Increase education and outreach around the state by fundraising for and organizing quarterly training/public events at different locations around the state;
- Write grants for increased development and programming; and
- Participate in some advocacy activities as designated by the Executive Director, such as Abandoned Properties Coalition meetings, state or federal government advocacy meetings, and Section 106 review projects.
To apply, please submit by email:
- Cover letter expressing why you are a good fit for the position and salary requirements. Include the following information:
- What skills or experience do you have that will make you suitable for the duties of this position?
- What is your understanding of or background regarding AmeriCorps and National Service?
- What is your understanding or background of participation in PAWV?
- Resume including contact information for 2 professional/academic references and one personal reference.
Applications will be accepted until Monday, June 20, 2016, or until a suitable candidate is selected. Hiring for this position is dependent upon organization receipt of requested funding.
For more information or to submit application:
Danielle LaPresta, Executive Director