The Preserve WV AmeriCorps program is currently accepting applications for service positions around the state of West Virginia for a one-year service assignment beginning August 29, 2016. Applications will be accepted for all of these positions on a rolling basis until they are filled. Once you apply, you will be notified of the positions that are open or have been filled already.
About the Program: The Preserve WV AmeriCorps program is a statewide service initiative administered by Preservation Alliance of West Virginia (PAWV), the statewide nonprofit organization dedicated to historic preservation in the Mountain State. The purpose of the Preserve WV AmeriCorps program is to implement historic preservation and heritage tourism projects throughout West Virginia by way of historic resource re-use, improvement, development, and interpretation. Members’ service will focus on community development and revitalization through projects focused on historic resource improvement, volunteer management, community engagement, historic resource surveys, historic preservation, and heritage tourism development.
What to Expect: Preserve WV AmeriCorps members will be placed with an individual site throughout the state of West Virginia. The program start date and orientation is August 29, 2016. All members must commit to serving for 11 ½ to 12 months with full-time members serving 1750 hours and half-time members serving 950 hours. Members should expect to travel moderately, statewide, for different educational training opportunities and other AmeriCorps-required activities. Members will receive a modest living allowance and have an option for assistance with health care and child care. Upon successful completion of service, members will receive an educational award, which may be used for up to seven years after service. More information will be provided upon inquiry.
To apply, either:
– Send your Resume and three references with contact information, emailed directly to the program director (email@example.com). Please give us multiple ways to contact you, especially if your email access is not reliable.
– AmeriCorps application, submitted under the Preserve WV AmeriCorps program at the website http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/join-americorps. You will have to complete the application to be enrolled in the program.
Once your resume or application has been received, the program director will contact you about open positions and start a multi-step interviewing process.
Positions currently needing to be filled, as of August 23, 2016 are:
- Harrison County WV Historical Society (Clarksburg, Harrison County) – Full-time
- Jefferson County Historic Landmarks Commission (Charles Town, Jefferson County) – Full-time
- Preservation Alliance of WV – Heritage Tourism (Elkins, Randolph County) – Full-time
- Pricketts Fort (Fairmont, Marion County) – Half-time
- West Augusta Historical Society (Mannington, Marion County) – Half-time
- Main Street Fairmont (Fairmont, Marion County) – Half-time
- WV Mine Wars Museum (Matewan, Mingo County) – Full-time
AmeriCorps is a program of the Corporation for National and Community Service, an independent federal agency whose mission is to improve lives, strengthen communities, and foster civic engagement through service and volunteering. To learn more about AmeriCorps see www.americorps.gov. The PreserveWV AmeriCorps program is sponsored by Volunteer West Virginia, the state’s Commission for National and Community Service: www.volunteerwv.org/
This AmeriCorps program is funded in part by a grant from Volunteer WV, the State’s Commission for National and Community Service and the Corporation for National and Community Service. Volunteer WV encourages West Virginians of all ages and abilities to be involved in service to their community.